Thursday, October 29, 2009

Entry: the Watusi

In true Bader-Meinhoff fashion, I got in a discussion about this with my friends at dinner last night, and then again with my coworker this afternoon. Anywho.

I wish to attend a function where there will be dancing, but find myself lacking proper instruction for an obsolete and spastic-looking move! O Wikipedia, can you help me?

In the classic Watusi, the dancer is almost stationary with knees slightly bent, although may advance forward and back by one or two small rhythmic paces. The arms, with palms flat in line, are held almost straight, alternately flail up and down in the vertical. The head is kept in line with the upper torso but may bob slightly to accentuate the arm flailing.

That's a good start, but my flailing feels a bit stiff and rehearsed. Perhaps, Wikipedia, perhaps you could help me to better embody the spirit of the Watusi...

The dance, which became popular in the American surf/beach sub-culture of 1960s, may be enhanced if one imagines that ones feet are on sand.

Thank you.

4 comments:

Angela at Box of Unicorns said...

Bader-Meinhoff phenomenon indeed! We were talking about the Watsui at work yesterday.

Just Us said...

I had Bader-Meinhoff in reverse a while back. I was getting a haircut and the hairdresser was telling me a story about how she went "water skiing at strawberry", which didn't make any sense to me but I just nodded and went along with it. Later that night, my wife randomly happened to mention "Strawberry Reservoir". So I learned the definition after the reference.

sarah22277 said...

But there's no video. I really wanted to see someone do the Watusi. Regina...

Unknown said...

Here's a short video of people dancing the Watusi, but unfortunately there's no music (!):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=499395573144399127#docid=2778542111262331122

or, if that link is too long, try:
http://tiny.cc/sbsnk

I found THE sung by the Orlons (ha - no dancing, though):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yqsv6h7A44
or:
http://tiny.cc/oavdd

:D